Community engagement activities encourage students to work collaboratively with community members and organizations to help address complex social challenges.
The following articles offer an overview of the research on community engagement across disciplines in different university-level teaching and learning contexts.
- Astin, A. W., Vogelgesang, L. J., Ikeda, E. K., & Yee, J. A. (2000). How service learning affects students. Los Angeles: Higher Education Research Institute, University of California.
- Bender, C. G. (2007). Pathways of change for integrating community service-learning into the core curriculum. Education as Change, 11(3), 127-142. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/16823200709487184
- Bushouse, B. K. (2005). Community nonprofit organizations and service-learning: Resource constraints to building partnerships with universities. Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning, 12(1), 32-40. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/2027/spo.3239521.0012.103
- Butin, D. W. (2010). Service-learning in theory and practice: The future of community engagement in higher education. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Enos, S., & Morton, K. (2003). Developing a theory and practice of campus-community partnerships. In B. Jacoby & Associates (Eds.), Building partnerships for service-learning (pp. 20-41). San Francisco: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Eyler, J. S. (2000). What do we most need to know about the impact of service-learning on student learning?. Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning. Special issue on “Strategic directions for service-learning research”, Fall: 11–17. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/2027/spo.3239521.spec.102
- Ibáñez-Carrasco, F., & Riaño-Alcalá, P. (2011). Organizing community-based research knowledge between universities and communities: Lessons learned. Community Development Journal, 46(1), 72–88. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/cdj/bsp041
- Jones, L., & Wells, K. (2007). Strategies for academic and clinician engagement in community-participatory partnered research. Jama, 297(4), 407-410. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.297.4.407
- Waterman, A. S. (Ed.). (2014). Service-learning: Applications from the research. Routledge.
- Weerts, D. J., & Sandmann, L. R. (2010). Community engagement and boundary-spanning roles at Research Universities. The Journal of Higher Education, 81(6), 632–657. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/40929570