With the first extension programs in 1917, UBC embraced the concept of lifelong learning. Today, UBC delivers dozens of career and personal education programs, many through the Sauder School of Business, Education, Medicine, and Engineering.
Career + Personal Education (CPE) at UBC aims to expand career-applied and academic offerings for working professionals and students of all ages and backgrounds.
There is an increasing demand for professionally focussed graduate-level degree programs. CPE supports faculties in developing these new programs, which include:
- Masters of Engineering Leadership (MEL)
- Master of Health Leadership and Policy (MHLP) in Seniors Care
- Master of Public Policy and Global Affairs
- Master of Data Science
- Master of Business Analytics (pending Ministry approval)
- Master of Health Leadership and Policy (MHLP) in Clinical Education (pending Ministry approval)
- Master of Geomatics for Environmental Management (pending Ministry approval)
- Master of Computational Linguistics (under development)
- Master of Urban Forestry (under development)
EdX is a non-profit online education consortium founded by MIT and Harvard; UBC is a contributing charter member.
UBC has launched a number of online (primarily career progression) courses on the edX continuing education platform (both free and paid). This offers UBC the opportunity to experiment with different models of CPE certification, modularity and recruitment. Online delivery is increasingly a structural imperative in CPE.