With the first extension programs in 1917, UBC embraced the concept of lifelong learning. Today, UBC delivers dozens of career and personal education programs, many through the Sauder School of Business, Education, Medicine, and Engineering.
Career + Personal Education (CPE) at UBC aims to expand career-applied and academic offerings for working professionals and students of all ages and backgrounds.
Effective July 1, 2017, Continuing Studies became UBC Extended Learning. UBC ExL has built on the strengths of CS and continues to provide lifelong learning, but with an enhanced mandate to support faculties in growing and expanding UBC’s offerings related to career-applied education.
There is an increasing demand for professionally focussed graduate-level degree programs. CPE supports faculties in developing these new programs, which include:
- Masters of Engineering Leadership (MEL)
- Master of Health Leadership and Policy (MHLP) in Seniors Care
- Master of Public Policy and Global Affairs
- Master of Data Science
- Master of Business Analytics
- Master of Health Leadership and Policy (MHLP) in Clinical Education
- Master of Geomatics for Environmental Management
- Master of Data Science in Computational Linguistics
- Master of Urban Forestry Leadership
EdX is a non-profit online education consortium founded by MIT and Harvard; UBC is a contributing charter member.
UBC has launched a number of online (primarily career progression) courses on the edX continuing education platform (both free and paid). This offers UBC the opportunity to experiment with different models of CPE certification, modularity and recruitment. Online delivery is increasingly a structural imperative in CPE.