The 2017 Teaching and Learning Enhancement Fund (TLEF) call for small project proposals is now open. Grants of up to $50,000 will be awarded to projects that enrich student learning through innovative educational enhancements.
All faculty and staff at UBC Vancouver are eligible to apply for TLEF funding. Students whose applications are supported by a faculty member as a co-applicant are also invited to apply.
This year, the TLEF particularly welcomes proposals that address one or more of the following thematic areas:
- Enhanced experiential learning opportunities (including proposals that support ongoing reflection and validation of experiential activities).
- Measurement of enhancement of student learning and effectiveness (e.g. across different sections of the same course, or over consecutive courses; development of methods to assess student learning).
- Curriculum/program scale transformations (e.g. multiple courses linked through a year of study, a program, etc.).
- Enhanced interaction and communication (e.g. evaluation of strategies to promote and utilize faculty-to-faculty and faculty-to-student interaction and communication, especially beyond class meetings).
- Development or integration of open educational resources that are intended to be used in a course, multiple courses within a program, or across several programs.
All project proposals will be reviewed by an internal Faculty review committee, followed by the TLEF Adjudication Committee, which is comprised of UBC faculty and student representation. Proposals must be submitted by 3:00 p.m. on November 18, 2016, through the online application system.
A general TLEF information session will be held on September 29, 2016, from 12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m. Weekly drop-in sessions will also be open for TLEF applicants who are developing large and small TLEF project proposals. CTLT, faculty-based units, the UBC Library, and UBC IT will be available to provide support on topics such as pedagogy, assessment, media, technology integration, interaction, project scope, and budget development.
TLEF criteria, guidelines, and policies are available on the TLEF website. Questions can be directed to email@example.com or 604-827-0729.
The TLEF has funded more than a thousand projects since its establishment in 1991. TLEF projects support UBC’s mandate of delivering an outstanding learning experience for students.